Step 1-b: Home based Businesses

The City allows certain types of businesses to be operated out of a person's home in the residential zones; however, that business must be compatible with the surrounding residential use.  For instance, an accountant who travels to their clients or has very few meetings at their home would likely be compatible.  On the other hand, a retail antique shop operated from a garage that draws lots of visitors would most likely not be compatible because it would increase traffic and negatively impact a residential neighborhood.  Before a person opens a business out of their home they must complete and submit a Home Occupation permit, which can be found here.  City staff will evaluate the use and determine if it is compatible with the neighboring residential use.

**NOTE: Short term rentals (airbnb, vacasa, etc.) are not allowed at this time in the residential zones.